Happy Holidays from Jerry’s Plumbing RepairDecember 20, 2019
Water Heater StressJanuary 10, 2020
Winter is upon us and we have seen some severe cold already. Sustained temperatures well below freezing cause plumbing problems every year. Pipes will freeze, causing a loss of water flow. Pipes may also rupture causing flooding and catastrophic damage to personal properties.
You don’t have to be a victim of a plumbing disaster if you are aware of the risks and take precautions. Here are a few steps you can take to avoid plumbing problems in the winter:
- Make sure your hoses are disconnected from your outside hose faucets.
- Leaving them connected can cause an ice build up within the faucet which can crack or destroy the faucet.
- Know where your main shut off valve is located.
- Flooding often happens when the weather warms up and pipes that have frozen thaw out. Suddenly the split pipe allows full water pressure to flow out, which can cause a flood in a hurry. Knowing where the main shut off valve is, and how to shut it off can make a big difference if water is flooding.
- Have a flow control device installed on your main water line, such as the Moen Flo.
- This device can detect if there is a sudden rush of water flow, and will send an alert to your cell phone, as well as shut off the water to the house automatically to minimize flood damages.
- Link for more info: https://www.moen.com/flo
Jerry’s Plumbing Repair offers installation of flow control device installations for around $200 (not including the device). For an official quote, feel free to contact us.